Dental hygiene is not just a cosmetic necessity. A regular and effective brushing and flossing routine is very important for maintaining overall health and well-being. Good and strong teeth and gums, a fresh breath is not just essential for a beautiful smile but also very significant in improving total body health.
How is dental hygiene important for promoting overall health?
- The teeth are the first necessary tools required for an effective digestion. Only if the teeth are strong, can they effectively chew and properly break down food particles, which is vital for proper digestion.
- The saliva produced in the mouth is a very effective defence against disease causing bacteria and microbes. The saliva is a repository of antibodies. A good oral hygiene routine is necessary to help the mouth produce saliva that can effectively protect the body against bacterial infections.
- A good dental hygiene routine helps your teeth to function properly and is necessary for long-lasting strong teeth.
- When you don’t follow a proper dental care routine, your teeth cannot function properly because of cavities, decay, gingivitis, bleeding gums and toothache. When there is toothache, people find it difficult to eat nutritious foods that nourish the body. Therefore, this could lead to overall health problems.
- When chewing cannot be done properly, it may lead to digestion problems and irritable bowel syndrome.
- Lack of proper oral hygiene in diabetics may lead to gum disease where the sugar levels become difficult to control because of insulin resistance.
- Poor dental hygiene ma increase the risk of preterm birth and consequently low-weight babies.
- Scientific studies reveal that people with poor dental hygiene may develop heart problems and other risks.
So, the significance of dental hygiene in promoting overall health cannot be underestimated.
What is a good dental hygiene routine?
A good dental care routine is essential to keep your teeth, gums, and mouth healthy.
A good routine should comprise of the following techniques:
- Brush twice a day with a dentist recommended fluoride toothpaste. The toothbrush should have soft bristles and the size and shape should effectively clean all parts of your mouth.
- Flossing is very important and should be done once a day. Check out some non-intrusive flossing options, such as water flossers by Dental Dorks.
- A dentist-recommended mouthwash is useful in killing germs.
- Periodic check-ups with your family dentist is highly recommended.
Dental hygiene awareness should start from a young age. It is not only important for a beautiful smile, but also improves your overall well-being by reducing the risks of certain diseases.